Steve’s German Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 (4oz) package of Baker’s German’s Sweet Baking Chocolate
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ stick butter
- 4 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (7oz) package of Baker’s Coconut
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of 3 9-inch round cake pans with wax paper
- Microwave chocolate and water in a large microwavable bowl on HIGH 1 ½ to 2minutes or until chocolate is almost melted. Stirring halfway through heating time. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition until smooth
- Beat eggs whites in another large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peak forms
- Gently fold into batter
- Pour into cake pans
- Bake 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center, immediately run spatula between cakes and sides of pan.
- Cool 15 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool Completely..
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cake into layers before frosting.
TIP: When diving in the cake into layers, use Dental Floss.
- Stir milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla in large saucepan.
- Stirring constantly cook on medium heat 12 minutes or until thickened and gold brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread over cake